September 4, 2021

"The Lady of Red (Bull)" (Aimee Terese tribute, Chris de Burgh parody)

In addition to the Sade parody, I was working on another adult contempo tribute to the muse, Aimee Terese, when as fate would have it, her friend made the following meme that fit it perfectly:


Yep, I'm sticking my neck out and doing a mature monogamous love ballad -- you might want to send any children in the room, out of the room, or they'll be groaning about grown-folks music. I think it makes for a nice contrast with the childlike nature of the memes.

And in any case, the tone of the original is not so staid and settled-down -- on this occasion, he's wonderstruck by his wife for the first time all over again like an adolescent. That was a big theme among Boomers back then, to head off the more worrisome Boomer trend, i.e. divorcing and trading in for a new model.

Fortunately for us, the muse and the messenger are inseparable. You can't trade in one muse for another, you're possessed by the one.

Aimee, you might want to wait until Saturday night your time to get into this one. I don't know how it'll hit outside of the evening / date night hours. Might feel like it's being laid on a bit thick, in the afternoon. When the weekend nights get lonely during lockdown, I'll always be there to share an imaginary slow-dance with you...

Pronunciation notes: stress on 2nd syllable for both "Aspie" (chorus) and "Online" (verse 2)

When does the word "Bull" come in, BTW? Well, "Red" is on the 1st beat, and normally drawn out for 3 beats. I'm putting "Bull" on the 4th beat of that line, and lasting only 1 beat (a little flourish, not a whole 'nother major word). It would be in a less prominent voice, like a sighing background vocal. Original lyrics here.



* * *


I've never seen you going so viral as a prophesier
I've never seen you type such fire
Mmm-hmm
I've never seen so many frens follow an account in a trance
They're looking for a virtual glance
And how your voice enchants
I have never seen that thread you're sharing
Or your hot takes and your stare get amplified
I'm too offline

Lady of Red (Bull)
Is bantzing with me
Screen to screen
There's no moddies here
Apu and Aspie
It's who we wanna be
But I hardly know
This avi in my replies
I'll never forget
The way you shook this site

I've never seen you tweeting so tireless as a prophesier
I've never seen you type such fire
You were deranging
I've never seen so many people want you for their digital bride
And when you said you'd like a child
It broke the 'net all day
Online has become so real
So real that I now feel a caressing touch
When you scroll my site

Lady of Red (Bull)
Is bantzing with me
Screen to screen
There's no moddies here
Apu and Aspie
It's who we wanna be
But I hardly know
This avi in my replies
I'll never forget
The way you shook this site

No comments:

Post a Comment

You MUST enter a nickname with the "Name/URL" option if you're not signed in. We can't follow who is saying what if everyone is "Anonymous."